Thursday 13 June 2013

Sixty Nine Degrees Work Placement Report

Last week, I completed a work placement at the fashion and lifestyle magazine, Sixty Nine Degrees, as an Editorial and PR Assistant. I was very excited to gain experience at this company, as it was shortlisted for 'Magazine of the Year 2012' at the Midland Media Awards


The week started off with a team meeting where I gained an insight into the structure and organisation of a magazine company. A printing deadline was due at the end of the week so it was crucial for the team to discuss work loads. Magazine deliveries were also arranged between the colleagues.

After the team meeting, I performed many tasks to good standard whilst on my week long placement. I posted print stories from the magazine onto the online platform, so Sixty Nine Degrees's website was kept up to date. I completed the whole magazine as well as an issue of Dluxe, which is Sixty Nine Degrees's sister publication. The team were pleased with how quickly and efficiently I delivered this task. To add to this, I learnt new skills from posting online features. I gained knowledge in using WordPress and Adobe Photoshop, which are soft wares I needed extra practice in. I now feel confident using these programmes.


Another task I was assigned included to write 'diary' features for Sixty Nine Degrees's next issue. This involved me writing 50-100 word summaries of up and coming events in the Midlands. The team were impressed with my work and emphasised how my writing would appear in the next printed issue. It's very satisfying to think my work will be used in the magazine and read by thousands! Furthermore, I transcribed interviews Sixty Nine Degrees had conducted with winners from the Birmingham Young Professional of the Year Awards. I had to complete this task under pressure as the work had to be finished before the printed deadline. I transcribed the interviews to high standard and prior to the required deadline. I got a taste of what working to magazine time frames is like and I loved the rush and excitement of this office situation.

During my work placement, I worked alongside Sixty Nine Degrees's PR professional as well as the editorial team. I am eager to gain experience in the PR sector as I believe it compliments journalism well and also further opens up future opportunities for me. I attended PR meetings with Sixty Nine Degrees's clients, where negotiations and deals were discussed. One of these clients was another magazine in the Midlands area. Sixty Nine Degrees were proposing editorial ideas to them and would therefore be paid for writing articles for the client. The meeting went well and many editorial features were agreed. 

The second PR meeting I attended was with a hotel client in Brindley Place, Birmingham. This time, Sixty Nine Degrees were discussing advertisement and competition opportunities. The magazine wanted to advertise the hotel in return for revenue. After negotiating for an hour, myself and Sixty Nine Degrees's PR professional secured an A4 page advert, a competition and an editorial review of the hotel. This provided Sixty Nine Degrees with some significant extra income and loyalties with a client. 

I learnt so much in just a short space of time at Sixty Nine Degrees. I gained insight into the organisation and structure of a magazine company; I learnt how to use WordPress and Adobe Photoshop more effectively; I experienced working to deadlines and under pressure; I learnt what PR negotiating with clients is like. Overall, I believe that after completing a work placement at a fashion and lifestyle magazine, I am one step closer to securing my dream job in this journalism sector.

Abbey Hartley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.